Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Downside of Being Cheap

Okay, I don't know if I'm necessarily "cheap", but I really like good deals and I almost NEVER pay retail. (Isn't that a life motto?) However, there are those days when it doesn't pay to be cheap. For example, the days in the last month and a half.

About a month and a half ago, I decided that I didn't like my hair. It needed a lift. And I also decided that surely, being the educated person that I am, I could figure out how to dye my hair myself, saving more than $50. One trip to Target, three trips to Sally's Beauty Supply, and two weeks later, I found myself with a yellowy-orangy color that I hated. And Eric said, "It's not my favorite," which means he hated it, too. I dealt with the horrible orangy color for about two weeks before I gave in. (I have this weird idea that I should make myself suffer for a while because of the mistake I made.) Then I talked to my neighbor, who works for a very nice salon, to see if she thought she could fix my hair. She was very optimistic and so yesterday I went in and my hair looks A LOT better. However, all in all, I probably spent almost twice as much as if I had just gotten my hair highlighted professionally in the first place. We'll keep the actual bill a secret between me and my credit card statement. :)

I learned my lesson. It doesn't always pay to be cheap. Next time I'll fork over the dough and get it done right the first time.

4 comments:

Kiki said...

Pictures really would have added to this post!

Sandy said...

I never noticed it looking orangy on Saturday....you always look beautiful! But I guess my opinion isn't the one that really matters:)
Just keep smiling!
Love ya,
Sandy

Marti said...

I can feel your pain...been there, done that. Lesson learned.

HandsRaisedToHeaven said...

I know this is a super old post but I laughed so hard when I just read this. But stupid me, I did it right before a wedding and it was bright orange. I threw on a hat and quickly ran to walmart to find some darker dye. It was awful. :( Josh was gone at class and wished I would have taken a picture. Oh my. I'm only able to go darker with home dye not lighter. Learned that lesson!!